Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vintage Sunsuit

a tale of tragedy, triumph, and biting off way more than you can chew. 
I've had this romper hanging in my sewing room for almost 4 years because its so stinkin' cute. Last week I was checking one of my favorite sites for vintage clothes, LittleLostWonders.com and saw this...
An almost identical version in the opposite color way! I bought mine at an antique store in florida, and it's twin was for sale in Australia. What are the chances? I threw it in my cart and checked out with quickness but alas, it was not meant to be. My payment was refunded within the hour because it had already been purchased. Noooooo!
So, being the ingenious person I am, I decided to make my own version. It is very basic construction with a little satin stitch embroidery and fagoting.  That's easy, right?  Should be, except for the fact that I have no experience with satin stitch embroidery or fagoting.  Small detail. That is were my go to sewing reference book comes in. Butterick's Art of Dressmaking from 1927. I'm sure there are more modern books that are superior, but that's not how I roll. ;) We'll see how it goes.

I just finished drafting my pattern and tracing off the embroidery design, so it may be 5 years before you see the finished product.

Also, I'm not sure where the triumph comes in. It just sounded nice.

2 comments:

  1. The fagotting is breathtaking and both versions are simple divine. I wouldn't have been able to resist buying it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable little sunsuit ~ please show what it is laying on in the top picture??

    ReplyDelete